Sunday, December 14, 2014

Easy-to-Make Soup and an announcement for a friend

It's been a kind of blah week for me.  I don't have a full-blown cold, but I am definitely not normal (no comments from the peanut gallery) and don't have a lot of energy.  I made the mistake of visiting the person who I think I picked up my virus from in the first place (an elderly friend who we help out when we can), and that second exposure resulted in my having a slightly sore throat to go with the rest of my complaints.  So...I started thinking about soups (no, nothing wrong with the appetite yet, lol).  I have a very basic approach to cooking...if it interferes with my reading too long...it's too long a recipe, lol.  Last year, I looked for a recipe for soup to use up some of the stray ham pieces we ended up with after a family meal...and I have used the basics of that to make my creamy soups ever since.

3 1/4 cups of water plus whatever is being used (in this case, I used about 1 1/2 cups of fresh broccoli florets), bring to a boil and let simmer until tender (about 15 minutes), then add two tablespoons of chicken bouillon (or a little less if you are not a fan of salt or you can probably use vegetable bouillon if you prefer).  Allow to simmer while working on the cream portion.

Have 2 cups of milk poured and ready.

In a different pot, melt 5 tablespoons of butter over low heat.  Turn heat up slightly, stir in 5 tablespoons of flour (I use a whisk), stir constantly because you don't want lumps.  Allow to cook about 2 minutes, constantly stirring, then gradually add milk...DON'T stop stirring, allow to cook over medium heat (STILL stirring), until thick (for me, it usually takes about 15 minutes or so).  I have altered the time that I have stopped...if you want REALLY creamy soup, this mixture has to be fairly stiff.  Add this mixture to the original pot, still stirring (do you sense a theme?)...and once it is well-mixed...serve.

Ok, I am a no-frills person...so, you could have put celery and onion in the original pot, or potatoes, or all manner of things.  But, I just served my broccoli with some shredded cheddar cheese and bacon crumbles...and enjoyed.  And, today, I started the entire process over again with sliced mushrooms.  It's quick and tasty...and I adjust the amount of bouillon the next time if I think it came out too salty (particularly if you are adding ham or bacon or something of that nature).


**********************

Those of you who attend the Night Owl Reviews weekly chat or the ones on Writerspace probably have 'met' the author and veteran, Jerry Race.  Unfortunately, he had a heart attack on Thanksgiving and needs to move into new housing, so there is a fundraising campaign for him.  If you can, please help spread the word!

https://www.youcaring.com/manage-fundraiser.aspx?frid=269226#fundraiser-details

1 comment: