Saturday, July 4, 2015

Happy Independence Day!

To those of you who share a country with me, Happy 4th of July!
(yes, I realize there are some folks elsewhere who view this date a little differently, lol)

I wish you a safe and enjoyable day...celebrate with thoughts of food safety and plenty of sunscreen!  Those of you who are in my poor drought-stricken state, please be aware of the fire dangers and the poor frazzled nerves of the nervous doggies and people!

I actually tried making potato salad with microwaved potatoes, and it worked well, although I wonder if it is a little more creamy than usual.  I am weird in that I like to actually taste chunks of potato in my salad.  I am a no-frills potato salad person...so, I microwaved 5 medium-sized potatoes, boiled 3 eggs, cut up sweet pickles and added mayonnaise, a small squeeze of mustard, pickle relish and stirred.  One of my friends is dealing with heart issues, so I set her portion aside before I added salt to the remainder of the salad.  Tasted fine to me...although I tend to be pretty light on salt anyway.


I remind those of you who want to support our troops that there are many organizations to help those who serve.  They include:

Wounded Warriors
AnySoldier
Operation Paperback
Soldiers' Angels


I am always too shy to walk up to those I see in uniform and thank them for their service, but it is definitely appreciated, so be braver than me and greet a soldier!

6 comments:

  1. Happy 4th of July to you too. Crazy people are already firing off illegal bottle rockets around here. I hope they don't start a fire. I love potato salad but haven't microwaved the potatoes for it before. I bake mine in the microwave though. I add dill pickles in mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually 'bake' my potatoes in the microwave (so much quicker!), but this is the first time I've tried cooking the potatoes for salad in one. I just didn't want to make a hot day even hotter by boiling them. Thanks for visiting (and hope the nutty people celebrating don't drive you too nuts!)

      Delete
  2. HAPPY 4TH ELF---Rae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rae. Hope you had a wonderful holiday!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Belated thanks, Stanalei. Hope you enjoyed yours as well!

      Delete