Thursday, June 7, 2012

Shine

Shine  
by Jeri Smith-Ready is the fascinating final story in a creative young adult paranormal trilogy.  The author has created a world that is even more divisive between youngsters and adults due to an ability to see and communicate with ghosts that is only granted to those who were born after a certain date which is known as the Shift.  Those under eighteen are quite comfortable with the presence of ghosts (who, under normal circumstances, can only appear in places that they visited while alive) but the adults are less accepting and have developed a system for policing these entities.  There are inimical forms of ghosts which are labeled as 'shades' but there are facts being uncovered throughout the trilogy which will change the world's view of these tortured souls forever.  The young girl named Aura who is at the nexus of these stories matures through a series of very emotional events even as she struggles with her own identity.  There is plenty of angst and serious subject matter in these volumes but I didn't feel it was overdone and cloying (unlike some very popular young adult series that I have read).  I suggest that you start at the beginning of the series, with Shade then Shift for maximum understanding and enjoyment (and greatest emotional impact) and keep a tissue or two handy.  Be forewarned that the books were originally released with different covers so there are two different versions floating around.  I think they were all lovely but I do congratulate the author on the new artwork.  I am reluctant to part with this wonderful book but think that the young readers at my local library will enjoy the chance to read Aura's adventures even more!  My Amazon review for Shine is at this link under ELF2060.  I always appreciate 'yes, this was helpful' votes!

 


4 comments:

  1. They are a great read, I hope you enjoy them. Very different from her vampire series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have more books to add to my wish list now. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome, I hope you enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete