Monday, August 3, 2020

Fruits (actually veggies, lol) of the garden and a recipe for a simple dinner


One of the benefits to being stuck at home so much is that I'm paying a bit more attention to the garden.




About 8 weeks ago, the tomato vines started having ripe fruit. (Alas, the plant doesn't look ANYTHING like this now).




One of the harvests from the end of June








July 22, 2020 harvest





Flowers from the sweet potato vine last fall




I also have a sweet potato (or yam, I never know which is which) pot going, and I THOUGHT it wasn't doing much...but when I dug around yesterday, surprise! There actually was a tuber down there.



Swiss chard from last year's seeds






and then there's the green onions (the spiky plant behind the Swiss chard and next to the strawberry plant...yes, I tend to stick  all kinds of things together).



So, it gives me great satisfaction to prepare a dinner that includes several of these items (with mushrooms, capers, and salmon from the store). I think I've mentioned before that I'm not a complex cook...so I cut up the chard and put it in a covered pot to simmer with about 4 oz. of water while I prepared everything else, soaped up and scrubbed the sweet potato then stuck it with a fork several times and popped it into the microwave (3 minutes per side), heated olive oil in a large skillet, put the salmon in (3 minutes on one side, 2-3 minutes on the other--I cut the thinner section off and put it on a plate to warm in the oven while the rest cooked that extra minute), while the thicker section of salmon was cooking, I put in the green onions, then the mushrooms, and finally the cut-up tomato pieces, tossed a couple of teaspoons of capers in, and sauteed for a minute. The hubby buttered the sweet potatoes, and we plated.













Didn't it turn out nicely?





4 comments:

  1. that is great. my brown thumb makes it hard for me to garden successfully. i hope you enjoy all those fresh garden goodies

    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made me hungry! I'm also jealous...those tomatoes look delicious. You have quite the green thumb. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tomatoes ripened so much earlier than ours. I'm envious! And I'm a fan of fresh food, simply cooked meals. Looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete