Saturday, September 17, 2011

Forgetfulness as well as the benefits of libraries

I think that I mentioned that I am new to the blogging world and feeling my way along.  I have skimmed other people's blogs but have decided that I am going to have to limit my exposure because I am losing so much time between trying to write reviews for Night Owl Reviews, Goodreads, writing entries for my blog and playing Word With Friends (my terrible addiction to the Scrabble analog) that I am eating into my reading time for books when I get lost on the 5 or 6 blogs that I have become interested in!  I reviewed some of my previous entries and I am tickled to be slowly receiving comments and startled to have a follower (thanks and welcome Mary K!) and have discovered that I intended to talk about a couple of books and then promptly forgot about them.  I will state in my defense that I am uncomfortable posting anything until my Night Owl Review gets published because I feel that this is the proper etiquette...after all, I wouldn't have the book if not for the site so they should be entitled to the first review.  I have had the pleasure of reviewing about 100 books for them this year and am really grateful to have been given the opportunity to read so many great new titles.

I just finished Basilisk so I will try to post my comments about it over the next two weeks.  I have to get some of my library books read so I am going to tackle Darkborn  and Lightborn over the next few days to prepare for my review of Shadowborn but I probably will stray into a different genre somewhere along the way because too many in the same genre tends to give me literary indigestion...I get bored and satiated!   I have 3 more review books due over the next couple of weeks so have to get to those as well.

I am fortunate in the fact that the Los Angeles County library system gets a large number of current books and those that I can't get from that library are often available at the Palmdale Library.  Yes, some weeks we just make the rounds from one library to another but they are such great resources!  I use the online catalog to request my books and also to keep up with the new titles being cataloged...I hate reading books after a smoker or a messy nibbler has contaminated it so I really like to be one of the first in line to read the book.  Thus far, I was keeping my Night Owl reviews separate from my borrowed or purchased reviews on Goodreads but I am finally going to try to add everything to the Goodreads shelves.  One more thing to be aware of if you don't already know about it, the County Library system has made Freegal available to its patrons so that one can legally download 3 different songs per week (of the catalog that they have from Sony) and Palmdale Library (I am not sure about the other library system) has a foreign language training course through Mango so just remember that libraries are not just for books!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on being a reviewer for Night Owl Reviews. I do book reviews every once in a while, but I just don't think I'm as good at it as others, so I leave it to them. lol

    Oh and thanks for mentioning me. :)

    ReplyDelete