Saturday, March 10, 2018

Saturday Seven--The last 7 things I have planted...








Tomatoes...

For some odd reason, our local home improvement store had tomato plants for sale about a month ago. I was a little unsure about the weather, but thus far, our biggest issue was the three juvenile raccoons who came by and turned over most of my flower pots and partially dug up the tomato plant. I had pinched the tops off when I transplanted, so I was a little worried that the plant would go into shock but I saw flower clusters today...so we are on our way...if the weather cooperates. Nothing like fresh tomatoes, that definitely reminds one of why there's a fruit vs. vegetable discussion!

This is from last year's cherry tomato crop...



Gladiolas
I have a flowerpot that has an overabundance of little gladiolus bulbs, so I am not sure how many will grow up to be beautiful like this...especially since I took out about 2/3 and gave them to other folks, and transferred some to the ground in the front.





Amaryllis

I gave the MIL a different color of this plant every Christmas for a while, and she eventually put them in her garden. Another relative wanted one of the Bird of Paradise plants (WOW, it takes a LOT of digging to dig one of those up) so I took advantage and dug up the amaryllis that were there (it's a VERY crowded planter, lol) while I was wallowing in the deep hole.




Iris
I thinned these out and transplanted them to the MIL's house...we'll see if they're as happy with temperate weather as they were in the extremes of the high desert!


Sorry, don't have pictures of the last three...but I have the following started...


Potatoes


Asparagus

and...I am anxiously waiting to see if the seeds sprout...but I am going to try to grow...

Dill

What's in your garden?

And a special thank you to the talented Crystal of Reviews by Crystal who sent me this beautiful banner!




Kudos to  Long and Short Reviews for this fun idea. Their post is here.

Please visit the other participants in the Saturday Seven!
1. Marianne Arkins  4. Judy Thomas  7. M's Favorite Things  
2. Peggy Jaeger  5. Bookaholic  8. ELF the Reading Addict 
3. Lydia Schoch  6. M.T. DeSantis  

16 comments:

  1. Very pretty. I hope your potatoes, asparagus, and dill do well this year.

    This is my Saturday Seven post: http://lydiaschoch.com/saturday-seven-history-books-about-ordinary-people/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I usually try to grow an herb or two indoors, but somehow neglected to keep the thyme watered and it gave up. My hubby is very disappointed as he uses it for his pot roast! I figured I'll try dill and see about using it for seafood Thanks for coming by, Lydia!

      Delete
  2. I'm in New Hampshire, and currently buried under about a foot of snow, so I have gardening envy. That said, except for the glads, I can grow all of those things here. I wish you well with your asparagus... mine never did very well and I was sad.. lol. Thanks for playing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I confess that it is a very gloomy and rainy day today, but it will keep me from having to water...especially since I transplanted more gladioli yesterday!

      Delete
  3. My family had a bunch of iris plants along our driveway when I was growing up. Love those so much. Have fun in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a new one that I haven't coaxed into blooming yet (might have something to do with the undersized pot I used, lol), but I will post pix if I ever get flowers! Thanks for coming by, Mary.

      Delete
  4. I love to garden - sadly, I only have a balcony - but it is crammed with potted plants!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful, Jennifer, and you don't have to drag a waterhose far distances, lol. Thanks for popping in!

      Delete
  5. Oh how springy this made me feel and boy with our 15 inches of snow, I needed it.
    Fun post and thanks for visiting me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to believe we are doing the daylight savings, "Spring Forward" tomorrow, isn't it? I confess that I am VERY spoiled in Southern California but even I was amazed to see sizable tomato plants for sale a MONTH ago! I can't imagine how you guys function in the snow...we're practically paralyzed by the rain, lol. Thanks for dropping in, Kathy!

      Delete
  6. Ooh, I LOVE posts about gardening! This year my DH is moving the wood pile farther away so I get a spot with more sun! I want to try Okra and eggplant. I've never tried asparagus - so I hope you'll give us an update on how they do. I tried potatoes once and they were covered in these really annoying beetles! I never tried them again. Loved your flowers though. Thank you for a wonderful, uplifting and fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried squash one year, Michele, and I had to admit defeat...I couldn't pollinate the darn blooms, lol. I sympathize with you about the beetles...we are constantly fighting both those enormous tomato worms and the aphids on the tomato plants. Thank you for the compliment, I am so happy it was uplifting for folks!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Great to see you, Peggy. Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. I know, it's a LOT of work, but the difference in flavor is impressive!

      Delete