Saturday, March 24, 2018

Saturday Seven...space operas

My Christmas cactus was happy this year...around late January!


I've long been a science fiction aficionado, starting with Heinlein's kid's books and then discovering the wonders of Andre Norton and moving on to others...hmm, guess that will have to be another Saturday Seven, lol.

I enjoy space opera, although I can't seem to carve out enough time to keep up with all of them. Here are a few of the ones I have followed over the years...and I guess I will have to do another post in the future because I realize there are many more than seven that I enjoyed, lol. So...here are the ones I followed quite a while ago...

    

David Weber.

Honor Harrington lives up to her name, is a kick-ass heroine who definitely knows how to think outside of the box, and...TREECATS! Who can resist them?


    

David Drake

Such unique characters...Adele who is the ultimate librarian contrasted with Lt. Leary, who never met a soul he couldn't charm...and then there's the cold-blooded assassin who attaches herself to Adele...

    

Elizabeth Moon

I was delighted with both the intrepid captain and her employer, that wily elderly woman. Add in the horse angle, and who could resist these stories?

    



Lois McMaster Bujold. Oh, my. Talk about a unique hero...Miles was attacked while still in the womb, ended up a less-than-perfect physical specimen in a society that usually kills those who do not fit their standards, but wow...does he compensate for his lack of stature! I know that it wasn't to everyone's taste...but there is an incident with butter bugs that had me laughing SO hard... I'm not crazy about these covers and find the versions I have much more aesthetically pleasing.


         

CJ Cherryh...ok, so I'm cheating a bit. I LOVE the world-building this author does, and each of these series is remarkable in the complex cultures represented. The first series was my introduction to the concept of cloning, and was a very chilling look at the way that can be used for evil...




David Feintuch. I was fascinated watching the hero work his way up through the ranks while the world around him changed.


    

Sharon Lee and Steve Miller...
The Liaden Universe and its unique mores and cultures was already fascinating to me...and then attention switched to young Theo Waitley, a remarkable individual. I vividly remember being so impressed that she could press a button and compress her closet into a tidy traveling case...a fascinating concept to someone who inevitably had way too much weight (in books, of course!) whenever traveling. 



These books occupy a great deal of my "keeper" shelves. I hope that you give one or two of them a try if you haven't read them before!


Once again, thank you to Long and Short Reviews for this fun concept. I have enjoyed visiting new blogs and finding new authors to follow (although my mailbox is not so happy, lol). Please make sure you visit some of the other participants and share the love!

Start here.

12 comments:

  1. Okay, I'm a big reader, and have done a lot of Sci Fi reading, and I've read none of those. Guess who's adding to her TBR list? *G*

    I'm here: http://www.mariannearkins.com/saturday-seven-books-on-gardening/. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you found a few that looked interesting. I warn you, several of those folks like to pen very weighty tomes, lol. Of course I usually have no interest in how many dreadnaughts take out how many corvettes or whatever, so I skip all of that in search of the meat of the story, lol. I look forward to hearing what you think of the ones you try!

      Delete
  2. I had the same reaction to this post. It's exciting to be introduced to so many new science fiction authors.

    My post: http://lydiaschoch.com/saturday-seven-my-favourite-emily-dickinson-poems/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, I started thinking of others that I have read more recently and realized I probably have another seven that I will list later in the year, so there will be more later! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
    2. You're welcome. I look forward to that post.

      Delete
  3. Well, you could just read Marianne's comment and pretend it was mine, I am not familiar with these either. But...I saw some authors that sound really good so I have them listed. Thanks for such a nice list.

    Here's my very weird list for today: http://www.ourtownbookreviews.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Kathy. I am intrigued by how many of us are science fiction fans! I hope you find some new authors to love!

      Delete
  4. I've never been big on space operas, probably because I've been subjected to too many binges of Star Wars and Star Trek, but interesting list. I'll have to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I found so many great authors through the Star Trek books...Diane Duane and Barbara Hambly, James Blish, etc. I probably still have quite a few tucked away, lol. Thanks for coming by, Wendi, and congrats on the upcoming releases!

      Delete
  5. I'm with the rest.. a lot of new authors to be added to my TBR list! Thanks!
    My Saturday Seven is here: http://jhthomas.blogspot.com/2018/03/saturday-seven-popular-authors-ive.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! It is always lovely to have plenty of fodder on the TBR pile! Thanks for dropping by, Judy.

      Delete
  6. Hi, Elf,

    Great topic for a Saturday Seven. I've read C.J. Cherryh, many years ago. Sounds like your sci fi reading history was like mine. I started reading Heinlein and Asimov very early! Did you ever read the Mushroom Planet books as a kid?

    Have you read Kayelle Allen's Bringer of Chaos books? Great story and characters!

    ReplyDelete