Sunday, May 6, 2012

Behind the Sphinx (or, another perspective)

I tend to use the mantra, "it all depends on your perspective" quite a bit in my life.  I think that many misunderstandings arise from our inability to look through someone else's eyes and conversely, good authors are those who are able to put us into a character's shoes and make us believe their actions.  I was disappointed in the two most recent books I have read for review and am pondering just what disturbs me about them.  It's not the content (although both are fairly spicy menage stories) and not so much the poor editing in one of them (although it really annoys me when there are frequent typos and I think a major publisher should have a copy editor who knows the difference between aid and aide) but that the characters don't act in a logical fashion.  I couldn't feel a rapport for the heroine of either story and I certainly couldn't feel her perspective and why she acted the way she did.  I do know that I wanted to smack each one but for different reasons...oh well...that's my perspective.  I will have to figure out how to write a diplomatic review for each.


What does this have to do with being behind the Sphinx?  Ah...for that you should go to this link so that you can see it in a different view, thanks to fantasy author David Burrows.  I don't think it ever occurred to me that her whole body had been constructed.  Fortunately, he must have answered her riddles correctly as he returned home safely.   If you are interested in Egypt, be sure to visit his blog as he is posting the lovely photos from his recent cruise.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes a book just doesn't enthrall us for whatever reason. It happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep...but I was on such a roll with the prior two! It's rare for me to consider works 5-star and both were! I decided to 'cleanse my palate' and now am reveling in the newest Janet Chapman work..."Charmed By His Love"...and it truly is charming!

    ReplyDelete