Sunday, December 22, 2013

Breathe You In by Lily Harlem

Fair warning, despite my name, this time of the year is always a little angst-filled for me for a multiplicity of reasons and I am not always in a cheerful holiday mood so some of the titles I share are going to be a little more somber but this one is well worth reading and IS a romance.  I have just started reading this author and have been very impressed by her stories, my review of her story The Glass Knot will be posted in the near future.

                                       



Breathe You In by Lily Harlem details the experiences of bereaved widow, Katie Lansdale, who feels driven to find the recipient of her late husband’s donated organs. Her rather questionable search leads her to museum worker Ruben Strong just before the second anniversary of her loss and inexplicably starts her on a journey of change and an end to her apathy about her life. Ruben is grateful for his new lease on life and delighted to find a woman who seems to be sharing in his attraction but the discovery of the secrets she is hiding may end their relationship before it has a chance to flourish.


This is one of those emotional reads that just makes you say “wow” when you read it. I am impressed by the author’s sensitivity in depicting an extremely difficult decision and its aftermath while ensnaring the reader in the emotions involved in a new relationship made even more awkward by the underlying circumstances. There are deliciously sensual scenes but also very vivid vignettes (I think my favorite is Ruben’s reaction to the hot air balloonists) that give depth and texture to this impressive story of new beginnings and its tribute to the life that can be provided with such a profound gift. There is a fine line between obsession and natural curiosity and one could argue that perhaps Katie needed professional counseling but the story wonderfully conveys the intense pain that she seeks to assuage. A beautiful love story.

© Night Owl Reviews
I received a copy of this title in return for an honest review. 


Best of all, it is available for only $.99 right now!

Breathe You In  (Amazon link)
 

I was remiss and did not include the link to Lily Harlem's website and she was gracious enough to share a link to allow us to find out more about the inspiration behind this striking story at this link.

 

3 comments:

  1. I am thrilled that you enjoyed Katie and Ruben's story E.L.F. I loved writing it and it was something that had been in my mind for years. You can read more about my inspiration for this novel on my website - http://lilyharlem.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/inspiration-for-breathe-you-in.html
    Have a wonderful festive season
    Lily x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to visit, Lily. I have been really impressed by both of your stories that I have read and look forward to reading others...particularly those sexy Hot Ice stories, lol.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a really good book! Thanks for the great review :)

    ReplyDelete