Monday, December 23, 2013

Idiot's Guides Sewing (review)

                                        


Idiot’s Guides: Sewing by Cinnamon Miles is a basic book on sewing, particularly using a sewing machine. There are excellent photographs detailing every aspect, from threading a needle, loading a bobbin and making seams to reading a pattern, creating practical things such as pillowcases or a little clutch or tablet case. The gradual progression from the very basic to more complicated projects makes this an excellent reference for those learning how to use this versatile skill.


I am never crazy about things labelled for ‘idiots’ or ‘dummies’ as I do not equate lack of knowledge with a lack of brainpower but I realize that this is the trend. I think this is a great series to either introduce complete novices to a new ability or refresh or brush up on the skills of an amateur in a particular type of craft. The satisfaction of being able to say that something is made with one’s own hands helps mitigate the inevitable imperfections but with these very clear instructions and explanatory photographs, the journey is much less frustrating than it could be. I am still prone to clumsiness so I keep the bandaids close at hand but I definitely find the books in this series to be useful and entertaining and this one is no exception (even if the seam ripper is probably going to be the most used instrument in my sewing kit at first!).

© Night Owl Reviews

I received a copy of this title in return for an honest review. 
 


Idiot's Guides: Sewing (Amazon link)
 


I wish all of you who celebrate a very Merry Christmas!  I will probably be quiet for the next few days and I suddenly realized that I have to compile my favorites list to share...but first I am going to snuggle in with some delicious hot chocolate and a good book (or three, lol).

5 comments:

  1. I remember taking a sewing class in high school and making a shirt. It was lop sided and didn't fit right but I liked it. lol I still can't sew very well and I even have a sewing machine that I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the bobbin to hook onto the needle while sewing so it sits in my closet.

    Hope you have a Merry Christmas too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I identify completely, Mary. I took a mini-session course in high school and actually made a skirt...but I think I stalled out on the button, lol. Never wore it because the material that I could afford to buy was so garish that I would have been embarrassed to be seen in it! Um...I am pretty sure the bobbin should be locked into a little compartment under the foot and the thread comes up and goes into the needle...but I am the one who sewed my sleeve to something once so you should take what I say with a large grain of salt, lol.

      Delete
    2. LOL!! You sewed your sleeve to something? I did put the bobbin in the compartment under the foot and the thread came up and I thread it through the needle..but when I start sewing...it doesn't thread into the material. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. lol

      Delete
  2. I can somewhat mend things and I'm not bad at cross stitching but this sounds like another book I could use :) Thanks for the Review!

    Merry Christmas to you & your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same to you, Crystal! It is definitely a nicely illustrated and educational book.

      Delete